Laurence O’Bryan, digital marketing expert, best-selling author, and founder of The Dublin Writers’ Conference, recommends you five best practices for becoming a best-selling author.
- Understand your theme and your genre. Buy and read the most popular books in the genre you write in. People like romance, mystery, crime, and thrillers.
- Create a catchy trailer for your book.
- Entertain your readers. Wrap up your ideas into a story that can be popular. This is what people have been doing for thousands of years: they turned ideas and themes into something popular. So, if you’ve got a theme and something spiritual you want to get across, don’t just say it. Turn it into a story.
- Be accessible. Present your book very well. It has to look like a professionally published book. It is not so difficult anymore. Write a good blurb. Set the right price. Join up with other writers and find your readers.
- Help other people first. This is not a magic wand. You can’t suddenly expect to get rich because this is not a get-rich-quick scheme. You find other people, you connect with them online and present your work. You need to help other people first instead of just pushing your book. There’s an old saying, what goes around comes around. If you genuinely help other people by giving them feedback and writing reviews, if you are genuine about their work, that power will come back to you. I don’t know how it works but it works.